Taj Mahal is 16th century old mausoleum, a UNESO World Heritage Site, situated in Agra, India. It's one the wonders of the world.
The moment you enter Taj Mahal complex everything stops. Your senses are concurred by the mesmerizing beauty of this white marble mausoleum. Your mind goes completely blank, eyes pops out and jaw drops! Nothing can prepare you for this moment, although I have seen it's pictures many times since my childhood without even realizing something can be so beautiful.
I was standing there speechless, completely lost in the moment. I bet you would feel the same way if you would be there instead of me. I think, there should be a statutory warning message at the entrance ticket of Taj Mahal "Beware! Visiting Taj Mahal can make you spellbound" :)
We literally sit in front of it for 3 hours and still left the place half-heatedly. It is that much satisfying to see Taj Mahal that entire Agra day trip could be just go to Agra city, visit the Taj Mahal, come back to Delhi without going any where else and still you will feel like damn what a trip!
Any travel log or pictures of this place can't justify the beauty of this place. If you think the picture looks beautiful, then you really want to stand in front of it! Only that will make you realize how beautiful this building it. It would be the most beautiful building you will ever see.
Bit of history of the Taj Mahal
- Where is the Taj Mahal ? It is located in the city called Agra, Uttar Pradesh of India.
- What is the Taj Mahal ? A mausoleum.
- What is inside the Taj Mahal ? Tomb of Mumtaz Mahal but visitor are not allowed to the original site of tomb which, I think, is in the basement. But you get to see the replica upon entering the Taj Mahal.
- Who built the Taj Mahal ? It was built by Emperor Shah Jahan in the memory of his third wife Mumtaz Mahal who died during the birth of their 14th child.
- Why is the Taj Mahal famous ? It is famous for being symbol of "love".
- When was the Taj Mahal built ? The entire construction process took around 20 years. It started around 1632 and finished in 1653.
- Who was the architect of Taj Mahal ? The chief designer name was Mohammad Khan.
- What is the height of Taj Mahal ? The height of the Taj Mahal is around 561 feet.
Pictures of Taj Mahal
Get the flash player here: http://www.adobe.com/flashplayer
Getting to Taj Mahal
Keeping in view a tight security and pollution effects, only electrical vehicles are allowed near by Taj Mahal. Electric buses, electric cars and the best ecological mode of transportation "rickshaw" are rapidly available. But before boarding any of these, beside buses, make sure you bargain and bargain hard! Most of the time the asked price will come down by even 50%!
The entrance fees is around 250Rs for foreign tourist, 20Rs for local and children are allowed for free upto the age of 15.
Taj Mahal is open for viewing from 6 AM to 7 PM everyday except Friday. It is also open for moon light viewing from 8.30 PM to 12:30 AM starting from two days before and after the full moon.
Undoubtedly Taj Mahal is one of the best places I have visited ever. If you have not been there, make sure you make it at least once in your life time!